As I did last year, I tracked the media I consumed over the course of the year, although at the end I stopped tracking television shows individually, choosing instead to rate each season as a whole. (It got really old having to enter in every single episode. A big enough pain that I just ditched that approach altogether.)
So here I have the best (and worst) movies, TV, and books that I experienced in 2017. I’m not going to include things I’d seen or read before. Only things that were new to me this year. They’re listed in the order I consumed them for each medium. Ready? Onward!
Movies I Gave a 10/10 to:
- The Last Jedi
Movies I Gave a 9/10 to:
- Memphis (the recording of the Broadway performance)
- The Two and Only (recording of a Broadway performance)
- Kubo and the Two Strings
- Beauty and the Beast (live action)
- Little Evil
The Worst Movies I Watched (and their ratings)
- Blue Velvet (3/10)
- Pete’s Dragon (new version) (3/10)
- Ice Age: Collision Course (2/10)
- Jason Bourne (3/10)
- 10 Cloverfield Lane (3/10)
- Sicario (4/10)
- Batman v. Superman (4/10)
- Starcrash (The MST3K version) 3/10
I have no idea why I finished Ice Age, other than my kids wanted to watch it. A terrible film in almost every sense of the word.
Television I Gave a 10/10 to:
Television I Gave a 9/10 to:
- A Series of Unfortunate Events
- Big Little Lies
- Game of Thrones 7
- Stranger Things 2
The Worst Television I Watched (and its rating)
- Nothing. I’m only rating a show if I watched the whole season, and if I didn’t like the first few episodes or so, there’s no way I stuck with it.
Books I Gave a 10/10 to:
- Unbroken, by Laura Hillenbrand
- Knight of the Seven Kingdoms, by George RR Martin
Books I Gave a 9/10 to:
- Extreme Makeover, by Dan Wells
- Three Times Lucky, by Sheila Turnage
- Bluescreen, by Dan Wells
- Ones and Zeroes, by Dan Wells
- Three Parts Dead, by Max Gladstone
- Two Serpents Rise, by Max Gladstone
- Full Fathom Five, by Max Gladstone
- The Last Kingdom, by Bernard Cornwell
- The Dispatcher, by John Scalzi
- Sufficiently Advanced Magic, by Andrew Rowe
- Oathbringer, by Brandon Sanderson
Out of professional courtesy, I don’t reveal the books I really disliked. But I’ll say that I read one book that I gave a 2/10 to, and two I gave a 3/10 to, and one I gave a 4/10 to. Additionally, one book I just stopped reading altogether because I thought it was a waste of my time.
So there you have it. I’d be interested in hearing what the best things you consumed the past year were. Share away!
Like what you’ve read? Please consider supporting me on Patreon. I’m looking to get to $10/month to justify the amount of time I spend on this blog. I’m at $1/month so far. Read this post for more information. Or click here to go to Patreon and sign up. It only takes a minute or two, and then it’s automatic from there on out.