So here’s the situation. I have one job offer already, for a small liberal arts college in Maryland. It’s a beautiful college and town, but the pay would be tight. Very. They just have a strict budget, and there’s not much room for negotiation.

On Monday, I’ll find out about the Maine job I interviewed for. Much cheaper to live there, and I loved it. I’d take it in a heartbeat if they offer it to me. That would be the easiest solution.

But what if they don’t?

Then I’m in a bit of a quandary. I think I’ll take the Maryland job and just suck it up for a couple of years. It would be great experience, and if I have to use some of my savings, then that’s what I’ll do. Honestly, I’m sick of applying to new jobs, sick of my current job, and there’s no guarantee that if I wait and see if I get another nibble that I’ll like that job any more than the Maryland one. Jobs like the one in Maine just don’t come around that often, in my four months of experience. And I like the job in Maryland. I’d be much more enthusiastic if the pay were a smidge higher. But it is what it is, and they’re trying their best to add some more benefits to persuade me. I can tell they really want me.

I haven’t been posting the last week or so because I know that the college in Maryland is reading this, and I’d really rather they not know all this. Any words of wisdom from you faithful friends out there?

3 thoughts on “Decisions”

  1. What a great thing to have to make a decision about! Guess it comes down to whether the job in Maryland would put you in a better situation than where you’re at right now. How would it work with your writing compared to what you have right now?
    And then it boils down to: you really don’t have to worry about it until you hear the decision from Maine on Monday. You’ve got a fast Sunday between now and then. Let us know how things work out!

Leave a comment