Apple just got finished announcing the new iPad (not the iPad 3, it seems. Just “the new iPad,” which could get mighty confusing when next year rolls around and you’ve got the new iPad and the new new iPad. Maybe it would be the new^2 iPad? New iPad Squared? Who knows?)
First off, a run down of the new features:
- Better camera–5 megapixels on this puppy, same as on the iPhone. Should be a really significant bump up.
- Faster processor–Plenty faster than the iPad 2
- Same price–Actually, they’re keeping the iPad 2 around, and it’s dropping in price to $399 for the base model. So cheaper iPads there, and the new ones are still $499 (for a non-3G, 16GB model)
- Better screen–Better than 1080p HD, actually. About on par with the iPhone retina screens. Word is, it’ll blow you away. And cook you bacon, which would be nice. I’ll have to see this to appreciate it. The screen, not the bacon.
- Still 10 hour battery life–Commendable with all the bump up in specifications. Although the new iPad is slightly thicker and slightly heavier as a result. (That 1.5 pounds will be so much heavier than 1.4)
- 4G speed–If you use the wireless feature, this is supposedly a huge bump up. I’m too cheap to pay for this, so I can’t speak to how good it’ll be, one way or the other.
- Integrated Voice to Text–Another one of those “I’ll have to try it out to evaluate it” features. But could be handy. Not Siri, though.
- Same cover as iPad 2–No need to buy a new one